Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Chapel Hill Public Library-Renovated!

Thanks to Stir Crazy Mom, Tabitha for sharing this great information on the new and improved Chapel Hill Public Library!

What it is: This past Monday I had to take my car to Chapel Hill to get new tires.  My family and I needed something to do while we waited for the car to be ready, so we decided to head to the newly renovated Chapel Hill Public Library.  While my husband and toddler explored the children’s area, my son and I checked out story time for 3-6 year olds.  

My son and I were CHPL story time regulars while the library was housed in its temporary location at University Mall, but this was only our second time to attend in the new location.  The library has several large meeting spaces with big windows creating lots of natural light.  For this week’s story time we were in a meeting room located off the lobby.  I believe story time is normally held in a meeting room just off the children’s area, but due to a larger turnout during summer the story times are being held in a larger space.

Even though the library is “new”, the story time format is the same as it was during its University Mall days.  Preschool children thrive on repetition so this was a positive for my little guy.  Each story time begins with the singing of “The More We Get Together.”  After that the librarian launches into books that correspond with the week’s theme.  This week the theme was “Old and New Books.”  The librarian began with a recently released book.  After that she had enough time to read two classics.  The children were thrilled to hear her read Corduroy  and Five Little Monkeys.  After she read “Corduroy,” the librarian had the children help her retell the story of the little bear using felt pieces.  I loved how this encouraged comprehension of the story.  The story time concluded, as always, with the book Wave Goodbye.  There’s a line in there about waving your derriere which always gets a giggle from my son and puts him in a good mood for the drive home.  

What we liked:  The renovated library is bright, open, and inviting.  The children’s area is beautiful and offers special touches, such as a tree with a hollow to read in and manipulative toys on the ends of bookshelves.  These little toys kept my toddler busy so my son and I could read books after story time.  Story time for 3-6 year olds is offered three different times, including an afternoon option.  When I was working I was so glad to find a story time that was held after I got off from work.     

What we would change:  For those in Durham it could be a bit of a drive.  From where I live, however, CHPL is closer for us than the majority of the Durham libraries.  We can’t check out books because we aren’t residents of Chapel Hill, but I’m glad we are still welcome at the free library programming.

Website and other important information:


Address: 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514

*Story Time (Ages 3-6): Monday and Tuesday mornings from 10:30-11:00 am and Tuesday afternoon from 3:30-4:00 pm
* Check the calendar to the make sure story time is being held that week.  There are also other story time options for different age groups, so refer to the calendar to see which one is the best fit for your child.

Photos: 





No comments:

Google Ads