Saturday, November 12, 2011

Couch 2 5K

I am currently sitting here preparing to run my first marathon tomorrow, yikes!  I was thinking back to a couple of years ago when I couldn't even run a mile.  I was also thinking how great it is for me to have running as a release and something I do just for myself.  As a mom, I don't have many moments to myself, and running is something I can squeeze into my schedule to help me stay sane  So, I thought I would share with everyone the plan that helped me get to the point where I could run a 5K.  This is something that most moms could do, even if they don't feel like they can run at all.  If I could get to this point, then lots of non-runners can. (Let's hope I survive the marathon tomorrow!)

What it is: There are lots of websites and plans out there now which take you from the "couch to a 5k".  The website that I used is one of the originals.  It gives you a plan to take you through three run/walks a week and gives you nine weeks to train to run a whole 5K!

What we liked: The nice thing about this plan is the intervals that you run are given in time intervals or distance intervals so you can pick the way that works for you.  It also starts you completely from the beginning, so you don't have to have any running experience to get started. Plus, it's a completely free training plan. I really enjoy being able to exercise and feel a sense of accomplishment without taking the time or money to go to a gym.  Running has been perfect for me as a mom because I can squeeze it in in the morning or at night easily or even take the kids in a stroller for a jog during the day. 

What we would change: Couch 2 5K doesn't really have any way to extend the plan if you feel like you need more runs at a certain level.  My best advice would be to repeat a week if you feel you need more practice before moving on.

Website: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I did some research to start running about 7 weeks ago, and I eventually chose to download a podcast for 5K 101 instead of Couch to 5K. The concept is the same, but the coaching is (according to reviews I read) better. It also gives supplemental workouts for those who can't make the bigger jumps in weeks 5 and 7. If you have an iphone or ipod touch, you can download the app instead, which allows you to listen to your own music while still being coached at the proper intervals. Just thought I'd add this info to give folks another option, but I know C25K is great too!

I was the antithesis of an athlete before I started, and I am now on week 6. I haven't had a single setback or needed a supplemental/repeat week. I can't recommend this enough! It WORKS, folks! :)

Hope your marathon went well!

Google Ads