Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Beasley's Chicken + Honey

What it is: If you've read this blog for any time at all, you know that this Stir Crazy Mom likes to eat.  We love to discover all of the great food that the Triangle has to offer and expose the kiddos to great restaurants.  Well, I'd been wanting to check out an Ashley Christensen restaurant for a while.  She is a James Beard Nominated Chef (which is a pretty big deal) and I've seen her make appearances in Southern Living, on Iron Chef America, etc.  However, when I looked up her  best- known restaurant Poole's Diner, I discovered that it would not be so kid-friendly.

So, when I discovered that she had opened a few new restaurants in Raleigh including Beasley's Chicken + Honey I had to do more investigating.  Lo and behold, this one was kid-friendly.  However, I also heard that it got very crowded and you couldn't do reservations, so we headed out for an early dinner on a weekday night to check this place out.  We parked in a garage right next to the restaurant and headed in.

It looked very trendy with long tables with stools to sit on and the menu written in chalk on the walls.  The menu was small, no kids menu, but we decided to give it a try.  We ordered the chicken and waffles because that was what they were known for and some of their mac and cheese.  I was a little worried because the mac and cheese wasn't just regular mac and cheese...it was "pimento cheese mac and cheese custard".   Would this be too fancy for my picky little boys?

When the food came out we split one of the chicken and waffle dishes with the boys as well as a side of mac and cheese.  The boys both polished off the waffle and enjoyed the fried chicken once we cut it off the bone.  They also tried a few bites of the mac even though it was in a more custard form and not what they were used to.  Meanwhile, the adults enjoyed a fabulous meal.  The fried chicken was awesome, and I was so glad I finally got the chance to try it!

What we liked: Good food is good food, and even though it wasn't made specifically for kids, they still enjoyed and appreciated it.  At the early time that we went, we were seated right away and didn't have to wait at all.  In addition, this would be a great place to check out on a date night when you don't even have to worry about all of the kid-friendly aspects.

What we would change:  This place is not your kid-friendliest, but it was definitely possible with my 3 and 5 year olds and was a fun experience..  The stool chairs were a bit distracting for them, and when people started filling the restaurant up at about 7:30, my 3 year old was complaining that it was getting too loud.  I probably wouldn't take kids to a late dinner there.  Plus, I wouldn't go when it is crowded.  They're brunch menu looks awesome.  However, I would be hesitant to check it out because I bet that is pretty crowded.  In addition, if your kids don't like chicken and waffles, there won't be many other choices there for them.

Website and other important information:

Website: http://www.ac-restaurants.com/beasleys/

Address: 237 Wilmington St, Raleigh, NC

Hours: Sunday-Wednesday: 11:30am-10pm, Thursday-Saturday: 11:30am-12am


No comments:

Google Ads