Tuesday, March 17, 2015

True Flavors Diner

I know that there have been a lot of posts about food lately, but that's because there are so many great new places opening up in Durham!  (Plus, our family really likes good food!)  Don't worry, other non-food posts are definitely in the works!

What it is:  I am a little reluctant to write this post because this new restaurant that just opened up in the Greenwood Commons stopping center (home of the S. Durham Farmers Market) is so good that I really want to keep this secret for myself.  But they are such a great place that I just have to share the love.  My husband and I happened upon the menu for this place online and were immediately hooked.  Everything just sounded so mouth-watering!  So, we headed over on their second day of business on my husband's lunch hour to check everything out.  It's only about five minutes from my house, so we're definitely in luck.

The restaurant was a little tricky to find, tucked behind an auto shop in the corner of the shopping center.  While it didn't look like much from the outside, when we walked in, the decor was so inviting.  From their indoor fresh herb garden and open kitchen to the large spoon and fork on the wall, it was very welcoming.

One we were in the small restaurant we sat down at one of their tables and started the tough decision of picking something off the menu.  They have a breakfast and lunch section as well as appetizers and desserts and everything looked good.  At this point, they did not have a kids' menu, but they did say they were working on it.  They did mention a kids' chicken tenders option with a side option.  We decided to try the waffles with a side of mac and cheese for the kiddo.  I can't wait to hopefully see an official kids' menu next time I stop by.  He also enjoyed one of their daily drink specials-a strawberry, pineapple lemonade.  While they didn't have a kids' menu yet, they did have a kids' placemat and crayons for him to play with while we waited for our food.

As for the grown ups I chose the burger topped with brisket, peppered bacon, and pimento cheese (I know, not diet!) and my husband chose the duck club, both with fries.  Both were as delicious as they sound!  For dessert we had a many-layered neopolitan cake that was fabulous.  All of their desserts are also made in house.  We left full and happy, and I absolutely can't wait to come back for more!

What we liked:  The food was delicious!!  The menu looks great and there's so much more I want to try.  Plus, it's in a great shopping center in South Durham with several other great restaurants, The Glass Jug, and the Saturday morning South Durham Farmers Market.  All of the staff there was very welcoming and friendly including the chef who came out from the kitchen several times to talk to our table and ask our opinion.

What we would change:  Since they had only been open 24 hours when we stopped by they still had a few kinks to work out.  They did not have a kids' menu or high chairs yet but they said that both were on the way.  I hope they follow through with both because I can't wait to go back!  Oh, and they are only open for breakfast and lunch right now and not open on Sundays.

Website and other important information:

Website: http://www.trueflavorsnc.com/

Address: 5410 Highway 55, Durham

Hours: Monday-Friday: 6:30am-2:30pm, Saturday: 7:30am-2:30pm

Photos:


(lemonade special)


(my son's waffles)


(my burger)


(my husband's duck club)


(our dessert)


(the decor)


(their herb garden)


(the interior)


(their open kitchen)


(the unassuming exterior to this fabulous restaurant)

1 comment:

Cutter said...

Tried this place after your suggestion - delicious food!! We will definitely be back!

Google Ads