Tuesday, July 27, 2010

"Fried" Ice Cream

Here's a little sweet treat we tried that can help to beat the summer heat and provide an activity for kids in the kitchn.  This isn't actually fried ice cream, but it copies the flavors and is a pretty nice imitation.

I tried this recipe because the magazine said that they would be fun to make with kids.  While I don't know how easy it would be for kids to help with this recipe, they definitely enjoy eating the finished product!  It's bite-sized, delicious, and perfect for all kinds of adaptations.

**Adapted from "Taste of Home" magazine

Ingredients:

Vanilla Ice Cream
1/2 C Frosted Corn Flakes (crushed)
1/4 C Sugar
1 tsp cinammon
Honey

Procedure:

1. Form the ice cream into balls of whatever size you want.  The magazine recommends regular ice cream scoop sized balls, but I found them to be a much more interesting toddler size if you make them with a melon baller for a much smaller size.

2. Put them in the freezer to harden for an hour or until firm.

3. Combine corn flakes, sugar, and cinnamon and place in a shallow dish.

4. Roll the ice cream balls in the corn flake mixture.

5. Put in the freezer until ready to serve.

6. Remove and put as many in a bowl as desired.  Cover with as much honey as desired.  Eat and enjoy!

*I found the key to making the ice cream balls was the make sure the plate+wax paper that you are putting them on is cold.  Then, rinse the scoop after each time with water.  The ice cream slides off better that way. 

*Now that I've made the recipe once I'm excited to have my child help me with the corn flake crushing part of the recipe as well as some heavily assisted making and coating of ice cream scoops.

*It seems like this recipe would lend itself to all sorts of variations.  Covering ice cream in crispy coatings and topping them with a delicious sauce could be done in a variety of ways.  I was just thinking of oreo crumbs and chocolate syrup, but I'm sure there are other fun variations.  Let me know if you come up with any! 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Google Ads