Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Frothy-Chilly Fruit Smoothies

**Recipe adapted from Rachel Ray at foodnetwork.com

Since the weather is so hot right now, it's great to have a cool treat for the kids.  Plus, we're always looking for healthy ways to get more calories into my picky child.  We came across this smoothie recipe as a healthy treat for me when I was pregnant, but it's also perfect as a quick afternoon treat for my son that is fun to make together, yummy for him to eat, and healthy too!  The best part of this recipe for me is its flexibility.  You can really modify it based on what you have and what you like.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

*1 large, ripe banana sliced
*2 C frozen fruit (Rachel Ray recommends strawberries and peaches, but I've used blueberries and basically whatever fruit I have leftover in the freezer.)
*1 C yogurt (Again, Rachel recommends strawberry-banana, but I've used every flavor under the sun.)
*1 C milk (You can also use fruit juice or fruit "nectar" for this part, you just need a liquid.  Recently, I've been using the fruit/veggie juices for this part to get an extra serving of veggies in the drink.)


Procedure:

Put everything in the blender.  Mix and enjoy!  (My son loves helping me dump everything in the blender and press all the buttons.  It's great to have something this simple that we can do together in the kitchen.)

No comments:

Google Ads