Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Cedar Falls Park


What it is: Recently, I asked everyone to tell your favorite shady park in the area. I was putting up a poll on the blog (Go vote if you haven't already!) and I wanted to make sure that I had thought of all of them.  There were actually a few on the list that we hadn't checked out yet.  So, of course we had to head on over.

The first one we've been able to check out is Cedar Falls Park in Chapel Hill.  This park has tennis courts, a playground, swings, walking trails, and plenty of shady fun.  We started in the playground part which, indeed, was nicely shaded by tall trees.  There was a large play structure and a smaller one, and of course, I couldn't get my little boys to play on the more age appropriate smaller structure, so we took our chances on the bigger one.  It had some great poles to climb, tube slides, and bars to hang on.  My littlest spent his time trying to fall off at the highest points that he could, but we had a good time nonetheless.

When we needed a break from the playground, we headed off the back part of the playground to one of the features that made this park unique, hiking trails.  These were not trails that would be particularly stroller friendly, but they are great for little toddler walking feet.  We had fun walking through nature, and stopping at a huge climbing tree and dry creek bed which I hear sometimes has some water in it.  Unfortunately, our little toddler feet did not make it too far down the trail, but it was far enough for them to have some fun, see some nature, and expend some energy.

What we liked: We loved having another shady park option with the summer weather still upon us.  The trails were also a nice touch, and I can't wait to head back and explore them a little more fully.

What we would change: As I alluded to earlier, the taller play structure has some precarious points for the really little ones, so you'll have to keep a close eye on them.  However, I am yet to find a play structure that my daredevil son can't find some way to make dangerous!

Website and other important information:

Website: http://www.ci.chapel-hill.nc.us/index.aspx?page=1575

Address: 501 Weaver Dairy Rd, Chapel Hill, 27514

Photos:


(The bigger play structure)


(The smaller play structure)


(The great climbing tree in the woods)

No comments:

Google Ads