Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Black Bean Brownies

Here's a brand new post from Stir Crazy Mom, Cleo. I tried this recipe with my own picky boys tonight, and if their clean plates are any indication-it's a hit!

A Facebook friend posted a pic of her black bean chocolate cake last week and that's what started this black-bean-brownie-craze in my household. Three batches later I'm still a little shocked that my 4-year-old (a ridiculously picky eater) devours these, but hey, I'm going with it! They are gluten-free / flour-free / no white sugar and very simple to make. Recipe adapted from http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

Black Bean Chocolate Chip Brownies (Makes 9 - 12)

Ingredients:
- One 15 oz. can of black beans (drained and well rinsed)
- 1/2 cup of quick cook oats
- 2 and a half tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tsp brown sugar or 1 packet stevia
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup agave syrup or maple syrup (I used Trader Joe's hybrid Maple-Agave syrup)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (plus more for sprinkling on top)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Combine all ingredients (except the chocolate chips) in a food processor or in my case, Ninja Blender. Blend until completely smooth (mixture will be thick).
3. Stir in the chips.
4. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 pan.
5. Bake for 17 minutes, then let rest for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Photos:


 (the ingredients)

 

(pre-mix)

 

 (after mixing)


 (with chocolate chips)


(pre-baking)

 

(after baking)

 

(Yum!) 

No comments:

Google Ads