Monday, October 13, 2014

NC Jelly Donuts

Everyone knows that my family and I love a good donut (or two), and we're so excited that Durham has some of the best donuts around.  Well, when we heard about another one just outside of Durham getting rave reviews we had to check it out.

What it is:  NC Jelly Donuts is a small donut shop that has two locations in Mebane and Burlington.  We chose to stop at the one located just off of I-40 at exit 153, only one exit away from the Tanger Outlet Mall.  We walked in, and the donuts looked delicious but it looked like a typical donut stop to me.

Then, when the lady came out from the back, I asked her what their specialties were.  She showed me several donuts that could be filled with a variety of icings on top-chocolate, maple, and powdered.  Then, she showed me about 10 fillings behind her.  They actually filled the donuts at our request, right in front of us.  I thought that was a fun touch especially for kids to watch-they could pick their frosting flavor as well as filling type.  We selected chocolate frosting with buttercream filling, powdered sugar with strawberry filling, and maple with apple filling, yum!

I was still worried, however, that the fillings would be too sweet.  Then, I tasted them.  While I thought the buttercream was a bit too sweet, my son loved it, and the fruit fillings had just the right level of sweetness.  Yummy!  I had also ordered a few of their regular donuts and they were light, fluffy, and equally delicious.  So, if you're heading to the outlet mall, any of the great museums in Greensboro or Alamance County, or driving down to Charlotte, it's definitely worth a stop.

What we liked: The donuts were delicious, and filling the donuts right in front of you was definitely a fun touch for the kids.  Plus, their location right off of the freeway is very convenient for long drives.

What we would change:  Of course, they are located a bit too far away from Durham to make it very convenient, but if you're headed that way, you should give them a try.

Website and other important information:

Website: http://ncjellydonuts.com/

Address: 126 Millstead Dr, Mebane, NC  and  3260 S. Church St, Burlington, NC

Photos:


(their case of yummy donuts)


(our haul)


(my view as I was driving away)

2 comments:

Catherine said...

Which museums would you recommend in alamance county?

Keisha Cosby said...

My family loves this place! We usually visit the same location, but have also gone to the South Church Street facility as well. The ladies are equally nice and always add extra goodies to our bags (or boxes)! Personally, I think the buttercream is just fine. For the price, size of doughnuts, and customer service, this place can't be beat! Move over Krispy Kreme!

Google Ads