Monday, February 19, 2018

Sushiōki

What if your sushi was the size of a burrito? Dream no more, Sushiōki is here! Sushiōki offers rolls more than twice the size of regular sushi in a variety of flavors, some raw and some cooked, an option for everyone. They pride themselves on making each roll to order, serving "food fast, not fast food!"


I attended their bloggers night and got to sample all kinds of tasty goodness, including...

  • Titan Tempur - Tempura shrimp, butter lettuce, pickled cucumber, shredded carrots, sweet Thai chili sauce (This tied for my favorite, crispy and spicy, warm and flavorful)
  • RD Yoo - Poké marinated tuna, butter lettuce, pickled red onion, cucumbers, cucumber wasabi sauce (This was also my fave and was the closest I tried to a "regular" sushi roll, delish)
  • Veggie Bender - Exotic mushroom blend, butter lettuce, charred cabbage, shredded carrots, pickled red onion, green onion jam (loved the creamy combination of flavors)
  • Southern Sushi - Hickory smoked pork BBQ, creamy slaw, pork rinds, gochujang sauce (just like a BBQ sandwich transformed into sushi!)

I didn't get a chance to sample their other rolls including the most popular Bull City Bulgolgi (with korean BBQ beef), the Reel Alaskan (with sriracha salmon) or the Oh My Gahshi (with fried chicken and kimchi) but I can't wait to try them on my next trip. 

Can't forget their rice chips - handmade, paper thin and super crispy in four flavors: original, wasabi, BBQ, and cinnamon sugar. Some chips were as big as my hand! It was hard not to inhale them!


The atmosphere itself is clean, bright, and welcoming, and everyone that works there couldn't have been cheerier. They also have a mission at Sushiōki, to partner with agencies like "World Relief, to hire area refugees in need of an employer who offers all of its employees dignity, respect, and livable wages." It's pretty powerful stuff. I certainly left feeling like dining there is not only a yummy choice but a healthy and responsible one too. I can't wait to go back!



What we loved: For sushi lovers like me, there is nothing better than more sushi! Having a kids menu is super inclusive too. And the prices were right. Did I mention the chips?

What we would change: I would love the addition of some specialty Asian sodas, like the kind you pop open with a marble, and maybe down the future sake and beer choices. When the weather is nice, outdoor tables would be a huge plus too!

More Info: 
Located in the SoDu Food Lion shopping center near Brigs 
at 4900 NC Highway 55, Suite 510, Durham
http://www.sushiokirtp.com/
Hours: 11am-8pm, Mon-Sat


Southern Sushi

Hickory smoked pork BBQ, creamy slaw, pork rinds, gochujang sauce

No comments:

Google Ads