So, this weekend our oldest son came up to us and told us he wanted to ride his bike without training wheels. We were nervous, but we got out in our cul-de-sac and let him try. Sure enough, by the end of the day he was tearing around the neighborhood. Now, we're anxious to find anywhere we can take him to ride because he's so excited about it.
Our most recent poll results couldn't have come at a better time. This time, we polled our readers on their favorite parks for bike riding and otherwise getting out on some trails. After more votes than we've ever had, (thank you readers!) here are your top five bike riding parks in the area:
1. Rockwood Park (23%) This park topped our polls as your favorite park in Durham, period. With it's shady trees, bridges, playground, and short, looped trail it's definitely one of our favorite playground stops.
2. Oval Drive Park (17%) This park is a perfect place for toddler bike riding with a large sidewalk loop all within viewing range from the playground. So, your kids can keep doing laps and getting out all of their energy while you can just sit and watch.
3. Northgate Park (11%) We actually haven't checked out this park as often as we would have liked. But when we did check it out, we had a great walk from the park all the way to the famous Brontosaurus statue. So, I'm sure there are plenty of great biking opportunities that I can't wait to check out.
4. Chapel Hill Community Park (10%) This park lets you explore some of the great trails that Chapel Hill has to offer. The playground and garden here are also fabulous and great places to check out.
5. Indian Trail Park (8%) Another great Durham park with more great trails. This is another park that we haven't been to in a while. This poll is great because it's reminded us of some parks we should definitely head back to more often.